Monday 19 September 2011

Diary Sep 2011

I have spent the last week and two days waiting to come on, already having period pain. My best friend has always called having a period ‘Mrs Louis’visiting so that’s kind of stuck with me, it seems nicer in a way to call it that. I think this is due to having to tell everybody about when I’d roughly be due on as this is what our life currently revolves around. My poor fella, he even has to have this discussion with his mates!

 As I am so debilitated during this time, same as you I’m sure and as Endo sufferers are, I am unable to do anything, just lay still. We can’t book anymore than a couple of weeks ahead as my cycle ranges from 30-39days.  I’m not embarrassed to talk about it but sometimes, it would be nice to keep it to myself. If I do fall pregnant than everyone will know quickly, due to the fact people will notice my period hasn’t come as it is so openly planned around and discussed.

We are hoping to go on holiday in the next couple of weeks but I needed to come on first to see when we can go. I hate feeling under pressure to come on, due to an up and coming date and then invariably missing out on so many things. I missed my newest nieces christening earlier on in the year and so many other special days that I won’t get back. It’s been going on years...

How do you deal with this? I try and focus on the better days and laugh when I find something funny as I’ll be crying when it’s not!

I have found a couple of things to make life easier when ‘Mrs Louis is Visiting’. I had to stop using tampons aged 18 due to the amount of pain I was experiencing internally so moved onto pads. I used Always products until I found the Natracare certified organic range. 
I now use Natracare Natural Ultra Pads Regular with Wings x14 which are made from totally chlorine free, natural and sustainable materials. I’m sure this is better for your vulva skin and helps my Vestibudynia and Vulvadynia not flare up at this time. Also during ‘Mrs Louis’s visit, depending on side effects of the meds I'm taking, when going to the toilet I rinse my vulva with water and pat dry with tissue.


When I was recovering from my bowel re-section I found the Dreamland Thermo Therapy Heat Pad, it really helped the pain to lay on, instead of the water bottle I used to have under me. Its better as it is completely flat and you don’t have the top of the water bottle digging in you. It shuts off on its own after 90 mins, just click the switch and it turns back on. It also comes with a removable cover you can wash. You don't have to get up or get somebody else to get up to boil the kettle!
I have read alternative practitioners believe electric heat pads can interfere with your body’s healing system so I only use an electric heat pad during my period now as well as a couple of hot water bottles for my tummy and left leg. Other times during the month I just make do with water bottles. I would use it after surgery again though.

 I’m unable to do anything during a period, the first 3 days are the worst, when I changed my phone contract I managed to get a free laptop notebook. We also now have wi-fi so this has changed some of my time being stuck in bed after my worst 3 days, at least I can now be connected to the world! 

2 comments:

  1. Hi I picked this link up through the Guildford support group email and thought I'd check it out as I've not been to the group for quite a while now due to work commitments, I'm sure you've probably considered l options but if not give a merina coil a go, best thing ever, has completely changed my life

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Anonymous,

    Thank you for commenting and sending me what's worked for you. I'm glad it's had such a great effect for you, you must be really chuffed.
    I have tried the Merina coil a few years ago, I had been taking the pill back to back which made me bleed for 5 months. During an operation I then had the Merina coil fitted and kept it in for another 5 months until I begged my Consultant to take it out. Just like the pill it made me bleed continuously.
    I know it works for some, I just don't seem to be able to take hormones anymore.
    I am hoping to become pregnant so I have to manage as I am at the moment.
    Thanks again

    ReplyDelete