Thursday 11 August 2011

Useful Books

One of the best and most empowering things I have done is to read to understand my pain so thought I'd pass on the following books that I have found really helpful. Please let me know if you have any others you recommend or if you have read any of these with your opinions. I have started the list with Endometriosis, next section covers Vulva Pain then onto Pelvic/Vulva Physiotherapy. If you click on the picture of the books I have linked them to Amazon to make it easier for you if you wish to purchase any of them. Happy reading!!

Specifically for Endometriosis 
The best book on Endo I have read which I highly recommend you to read is 'Endometriosis, A key to healing and fertility through nutrition' by Dian Shepperson Mills & Michael Vernon. Dian has Endometriosis and is a nutritionist, she has manged to get her symptoms under control by changing her diet and taking supplements. Other people comment throughout the book on how the endo diet has helped them with their symptoms. The book is also written by Michael Vernon, he is a reproductive physiologist. The book talks in great detail about the body, how it works and what happens when you have Endometriosis.


This is the first book I read just after I was diagnosed with Endometriosis called 'Endometriosis, Natural & Medical Solutions by Kaz Cooke & Ruth Trickey' its an easy to read small book written with a sense of humor. Kaz Cooke has a history of Endometriosis and Ruth Trickey is a herbalist with a nursing and midwifery background. It made me feel better after my surgery as I took longer for the pain to calm down and heal than was suggested on the leaflet given to me at the hospital, they suggested this was normal. 


The second book I read was 'What to do when the doctor says it's Endometriosis by Thomas Lyons & Cheryl Kimball' this is written by a doctor Thomas Lyons based in the states but teaches worldwide his surgical techniques for endometriosis. 






Vulva Pain
'The camera my mother gave me by Susanna Kaysen'. Susanna is an author of novels but in this book she tells the intimate and sometimes humorous story of her struggle to find out why she is suffering vulva pain. I found it easy to read and could understand where she was coming from through some of her story. Good to hear straight from another sufferer. 






'A Headache in the pelvis by David Wise & Rodney Anderson'. David Wise suffered for 22 years with pelvic pain and dysfunction and is and has been symptom-free for years. It is a good read and explains about tense muscles in your pelvic floor but I personally have found Isa Herrera's (physiotherapist) book below easier to read and follow and in more depth than this book. 




'The Vulvodynia survival guide by Howard Glazer & Gae Rodke' is a good read and covers various aspects of living with Vulodynia.










Physiotherapy for Vulva & Pelvic Pain
Often in women with pelvic and/or vulva pain the pelvic floor muscles shorten due to being tight and connective tissue problems can occur which then create more pain. Physiotherapy can help you lengthen these muscles which then allows fresh blood and oxygen to enter the area and heal muscles and tissue.


Another book that I highly highly recommend is 'Ending female pain, A womens manual' by Isa Herrera. Isa is a physiotherapist based in New York where she runs Renew Physical Therapy. It is such an informative book, with diagrams of your pelvic musculature so you can see the layers of muscles and nerves. It is made up of various exercises you can do at home to reduce your pain and work towards getting rid of it altogether. There are pictures all the way through the book showing you what position to be in for the yoga/Pilates etc... I keep it by my bedside table and refer to it everyday.


The second physiotherapy book is 'Heal pelvic pain by Amy Stein'. Amy is also based in New York and runs Beyond Basics Physical Therapy. Again this is a really informative book, it doesn't have as many pictures as Isa's book but it does have an added section of Eat right for a healthy pelvic floor. Well worth a read.

No comments:

Post a Comment