Tuesday 15 November 2011

Smears

Smears, like me I'm sure its something you do not like having done. Maybe even fear or dread going. I think to be honest that most women do not like having it done but for different reasons to anybody suffering Vulva or Pelvic pain.

I put off having a smear for some time after my last surgery as I was worried about the pain it would give me. I am glad to report that after reading the Vulva Pain Society’s ‘Smears without tears guide’ I plucked up the courage to call and book into have one done. Check out this link and have a read. http://vulvalpainsociety.org/index.php?page=smears-without-tears

When I booked the appointment, I asked the receptionist if she could make a note that I had requested a smaller speculum because of Vulva pain and Endometriois. That way there would definitely be one when I arrived for the smear and the nurse would be aware why I had requested this. It was a much better experience than I was expecting. The nurse was kind and took it slowly, the speculum she used was made out of plastic and much smaller than the normal one. Not the metal contraption I remember.

So a big thanks to the Vulva Pain Society and the lovely girls that put the leaflet together! It’s well worth a read for both Vulva pain and Endometriosis patients, especially if like me, you have pouch of Douglas involvement.

I was glad I went for a smear when I did. I had an abnormal bleed one of the following months and one of the first questions the Consultant asked me, “Are you up to date with your smear?”. At least I then didn't have to go and have one done and wait and fret about the results. It was good to sigh with relief.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you. I am going to be brave and book a smear now and tell them in advance as I have been too scared to get one done!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really pleased, well done. Its great to hear that this blog is proving useful.

    Let me know how you get on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi again, Claire here. Was just on a pregnancy forum (my new hobby!) and someone was talking about 'Artificial insemination' and thought this might be of interest to you:
    http://www.insemination-help.com/
    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Claire

    Thank you for thinking of me. I will take a look at it.

    Hope you are getting on well. Keep in touch

    Kim

    ReplyDelete