Monday 28 November 2011

Piri -flippin –formis

After I have my period my Piriformis muscle goes rock hard with a trigger point in it and causes a great deal of pain to run down my left leg and in my buttock muscles and hip. Occasionally this pain is in my right side. I have a foam roller 66Fit Elite Foam Roller- Blue, 15 cm X 90 cm which I use to roll over the muscle to try and break it down. My other half also skin rolls over the area three times a week which Maria showed him how to do. http://www.simplywomenshealth.co.uk/


One of the best things to break it down is to have it dry needled by Brent Osborn-Smith http://www.clickaback.com/ . He uses an acupuncture needle to find the spot of the trigger point. It does hurt when the needle is in the right spot on this trigger point, it gives a very deep pain which goes down my leg and in my groin. After a day or so this does give me some relief so is definitely worth it.

I also stretch out my Pirformis muscle using the pigeon pose along with other poses to stretch all of my pelvic muscles as per the yoga series in Isa Herera’s book  Ending Female Pain, a Woman's Manual: Ultimate Self-Help Guide for Women Suffering from Chronic Pelvic and Sexual Pain. These are specific exercises to stretch this area out without putting the pelvis under too much strain which can increase pain.

My problem is the trigger point keeps coming back. I feel it is somehow connected to my left side of my pelvis where I suffer the worst of my Endometriosis pain. I would really like to know exactly what happens on a biological level to my body during the month. I know my periods are a culprit and cause this continuous cycle to continue.

I am hoping that if I manage to get pregnant it will give my body a chance to calm down. Nine months with out periods plus time added for breast feeding. I have brought a box of Yes Baby to try out this month which includes sperm friendly organic lube, a tube for him and one for me with some ovulation sticks. I’ll report back to you on how I get on and how easy it is to use. http://www.yesyesyes.org/yesbaby.htm 

I also had some great e-mails from fabulous and brave ladies reading this blog suggesting googling  ‘Turkey baster pregnancy’. Not the greatest of titles but I found some useful information. So for this month I also have some 10ml syringes in case I’m too sore to have sex around ovulation time.

I’m off to hear a fertility nurse speak tonight so I’ll also pass on any information I learn from her.  
Keep in touch and let me know how you are getting on and any tips you think are working for you or useful to pass on to both me and the readers of the blog.


Thanks x

4 comments:

  1. Hi i'm thinking of trying a lube, so let me know how you get on with yes baby... Am also interested in what the fertility nurse told you... I've joined a pregnancy forum (called pregnancy forum!) and am finding that useful and supportive. Obviously the girls there don't have the same issues as us, but you do get some useful tips, for eg i'm starting with Basal body temperature testing as ovulation kits on their own aren't always that accurate. Also looking into buying a Clear Blue Fertility Monitor, which has a lot of good reviews, so will let you know how I get on with that....

    Good luck with it all, Claire x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there just wondered if you had thought of trying acupuncture to help you conceive and help your pain and endo. The acupuncture lady I see uses chinese herbs to help endo patients and she had a patient who was on morphine and only now uses the herbs once a month for her period. I have been diagnosed with endo for over 20 years and wish I had gone down this route earlier as it has helped my periods enormously and helped me concieve in my late 30s naturally even though I only have 1 tube and ovary. I am hoping to start my own endo/fertilty blog soon as I have learned so much information over the years I need to write this down. I recommend a book Zita West a guide to fertilty and conception as a great book to understand all the fertilty terms and how hour body works etc. Hope this helps. Good luck Sx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Claire,
    How is it all going? I used the Yes baby last month. I found the ovulation kit easy to use. There are two lubes, one to use during ovulation that is sperm friendly (has a picture of a little blue sperm). Then after ovulation a female lube that changes the PH level of the vagina.
    Have you got the clear blue fertility monitor yet?

    Let me know how you are getting on.

    Lily-lou x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear S,
    I did use acupuncture and Chinese herbs for a year to try and help with my pain for the Endo. It didn't help my pain at all but it did help my overall health.
    I haven't tried it again since trying to conceive, I will keep it in mind. I am currently paying to have pelvic physio and osteopathy and I am unable to work at the moment so money is very tight. I have heard great things about it helping conception.
    Thanks so much for posting. I hope it continues to help you.
    Good luck with your health
    Lily -lou x

    ReplyDelete