Saturday 5 November 2011

Update on the Dilators

I normally try and start using the dilators again after about 7-10 days after my period has finished. I let the internal pain from the period calm down. Then as I haven’t been able to use them during or just before the period. I stick with the largest size but I go back to using it for 5 minutes, then 10 minutes the next day and so on until I get up to an hour.  These muscles have to be stretched every day, then I ice.

I’m in new territory now as we are having some sex, this month it was really sore around the vestibule area. I tried my beloved icepack, then felt the need to apply Lidocaine onto the area. Boy that was a mistake!

I had previously been using Lidocaine under a regime of applying it to a cotton wool ball and placing it in the vulval lips to desensitise the area for 8 weeks. This was working really well until I went into hospital for a procedure. Two days later, my intestines and stomach flared up in pain. Following that my vulva looked like the skin had come off and blistered where the cotton wool had been. So I stopped using it. I was told that you can become sensitive to the ingredients that they put with Lidocaine rather than the actual Lidocaine itself. In the States they have compounding pharmacies so you are able to get Lidocaine made up into other bases that you might not react to. But in England it’s the tube or nothing!

Anyway, I thought I would try the Lidocaine again as it had been some time, well I didn’t react well to it. It made my vulva even sorer, redder, and swollen. Not good.  Seven days later and it’s still hot and sore but it’s much better that it was. I kept using ice for 7 minutes a few times a day.

As you know we are trying to get pregnant which is a difficult task when sex is painful.  I tried googling getting pregnant with-out having sex, nothing came up along these lines. Any ideas, I’d love to hear them. I’ll keep trying with sex though, it’s amazing that we could do it. I keep it short for my part so not to make me too sore.

I’m seeing the pain team at UCL next month so hope that they will be able to shed some light and help with some of the pain that I’m experiencing. Fingers crossed.

2 comments:

  1. Hi - i'm the girl from the VPS who is also trying to get pregnant and i've been following your blog... A couple of things - have you tried ovulation kits? I've started using one this month and I think it may be helpful to find out when i'm ovulating, so you can time sex better. I'm using these ones called One Step ovulation test from Amazon and they're really cheap compared to the other stuff on the market and seem ok so far, though still getting my head around it all - apparently testing 2 - 3 times a day is best (according to the forums). Also, have you tried googling 'Turkey baster method' - lovely term I know, but I think this is another term for getting pregnant without sex, so check it out... Let me know how you get on.... Claire

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, thank you for posting. Glad you're a member of the VPS, its a great support.

    No, I haven't tried any ovulation kits yet. I have just got yes baby to try for next month which is sperm friendly lube with ovulation kits.

    I'll have a look at One step, thanks for that.
    One of the ladies from the Happy Pelvis e-mail group has mentioned to me about googling "Turkey baster method" which I have done. I'll be putting some of the things I've learn't into practice next month and then I'll blog about it.

    Good luck and stay in touch. Keep me updated with your progress and any other tips.

    ReplyDelete