Wednesday 21 December 2011

Fertility Nurse Talk

Both my partner and I found the presentation by Helen Graham, Fertility Nurse at the Royal Surrey Hospital very useful. She talked about hormone levels during your cycle and when ovulation happens, she said that its best to have sex three days before ovulation then every three days during your fertile time to try and catch the egg.

I obviously knew to have a varied diet full of different colours to get all of the nutrients possible. To keep saturated fats to a minimum i.e. cakes and bakery items and to keep within your BMI for your height and weight and to include exercise. The advice was also to keep alcohol to the recommended safe limit and stop smoking but I was surprised to find out that caffeine effects fertility! Not a problem for me, more for my other half and his new cafetiere! My down fall is having a sweet tooth but I intend to drop 7 pounds or so and stay off the sweet stuff, or at least try and make my own cake if I do eat it.


Helen also mentioned to watch out for too much vitamin A as this can cause birth defects. Taking folic acid is needed when trying to conceive and vitamin C and zinc was also important. She said it is useful to check if you are ovulating by using a test. I did this over two days in the middle of my cycle, the first day it came back negative, the following day it said I was ovulating.

However, I had a blood test done at the hospital on day 24 of my cycle to see if I had ovulated and the results said I didn’t ovulate! I was surprised and confused at this after taking the test. The doctor said that the ovulating kits on the high street aren’t very sensitive so may not always be correct. She went onto say that this may not be the case every month for ovulating, it could just be this or some months that I don’t. We now have an appointment at the hospital to talk through our options.

I did speak to Helen regarding taking painkillers and using very hot water bottles regularly. They would normally prefer you to not be taking any painkillers. Although in my case I need them so I am trying to take less of them during the month if I can, whilst trying to keep a balance in pain. I have decided to take a pregnancy test before I take my really heavy drugs each month. The advice for the water bottles was too keep them to a minimum and not too hot. She said plenty of warms baths were a good idea and very relaxing. Obviously if I have a period then I wouldn't be pregnant and can have hot water bottles and all my painkillers.


I was hoping to go with the flow and not get to hung up on trying for a baby but it seems it won't be quiet that simple. I am keeping in my mind that I have come far in this journey as now I can use all of the dilators and have some sex so that is some great progress!

6 comments:

  1. Hey! That's great news about the dilators and the sex! Congrats :)I've been doing quite a lot of reading about fertility recently and just a couple of things I wanted to say to you - the ovulation kit measures the LH hormone which causes you to ovulate, but you can release this hormone without an egg actually being released, which is annoying! I'd ask for a repeat of teh blood tests, as that nurse said , it may just be that month you didn't ovulate... Also, wondering if you'd tried yesbaby yet? I'm about to try a lube and not sure which one is best, so curious to know how you got on with that?
    Keep us posted!, Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. endometriosis does NOT always affect fertility and even those with severe endo can have children without fuss and hospital input. having endo is often only diagnosed when people go for fertilty help and those people have no pain and no fuss with pain killers and disability benefits and saying they are too [ yes too not to or two btw!!!!!!] ill to work or stand up or bend over and yet can carry a baby around and do all that is required for that!!!! so blogs can be a good communication tool and they can also be inaccurate and full of me me me rather than I i iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii andf the truth truth truth!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Claire,

    Thanks for telling me about LH hormone, this makes sense to me now.

    How is it all going? I used the Yes baby last month. I found the ovulation kit easy to use. There are two lubes, one to use during ovulation that is sperm friendly (has a picture of a little blue sperm). Then after ovulation a female lube that changes the PH level of the vagina.

    Have you got the clear blue fertility monitor yet?

    Let me know how you are getting on.

    Lily-lou x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Anonymous,
    I’m not really sure what to say to some of this comment. I know that some ladies have Endometriosis and no pain and as you said it doesn't always affect your fertility. All I can say is I am writing about my experience as I cannot talk about others experience from their point of view because I am not them.

    When I started this blog, my motivation was too share information that I had learnt as I don’t only suffer from Endometriosis but other conditions too. I would have loved to have read somebody else’s blog who was going through similar things to me. If your endometriosis doesn’t cause you pain or any fertility problems and you want to comment on that, I would encourage that. I am however not very happy with the tone of your comment towards ladies that are suffering a great deal of pain and have trouble working.

    Endometriosis is not a positive experience but I would like to create a positive open blog where people can be open. The post you are commenting on didn’t have any mention of disability benefits etc... and the fertility talk was just general good health advice from the nurse on fertility. I personally take a lot of painkillers so asked the questions regarding this. Ladies that suffer great pain with their periods would hopefully not suffer this pain during pregnancy but like with any of the Endometriosis journeys that ladies go through there is no definitive answer. You don’t know until it happens, if it happens. I guess like in any pregnancy.

    Good Luck with your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Lily-Lou,

    I just wanted to say that I think you are amazing. Sadly we all have different journeys with endometriosis and I know that both you and I have had a really difficult time with severe endometriosis. I find it disappointing that someone should post a negative view on here. They do not know you and therefore realise how brave you have been to share your story. You are an incredibly vibrant and positive person and I feel blessed to know you.

    In my years with this disease I have met literally hundreds of ladies with endometriosis, each with their own story. The last couple of years have not been kind to me and I have learnt that sometimes we have to be the ones who find ourselves with unusual stories. It is hard and it takes an enormous amount of courage to share the personal difficulties that you have been so courageous to share.

    Good luck Lily-Lou and always remember how special you are.

    Carol xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Carol,

    Thank you for your really kind words. Meeting you, has been a real blessing to me. You are an incredibly brave lady who has struggled with grace, through the worst of what Endometriosis has thrown at you.

    I admire how you stay positive and spend so much of your time and energy helping other ladies even when you are suffering so much yourself.

    You really are an inspiration and I so wish for you that 2012 brings you some better health and much joy into your journey.

    Lily Lou xxxx

    ReplyDelete